Monday, May 25, 2009

The weekend was....

A crazy one. Friday night was great, we went out to one of my favorite Mexican restaurants with my brother-in-law and his wife, it was yummy..Then we came home and watched a movie, and of course, I fell asleep.
....
Saturday Steve and I ran into town for some errands and came home, watched a show and relaxed the rest of the night.
....
Sunday morning, I woke up and we went to church, well just for a little while. I was kind of in a cranky mood so I decided to come home, make bread and relax. After lunch, before starting the bread, the power goes out!!! Normally it kicks on after a few minutes but no. We played outside for a bit after it rained. Steve took Gracie for a little ride on the 4 wheeler and he broke it. Well, it broke, the cover to the head gasket blew off. So we have to take it in and get it fixed. That's part of Steve's luck!!
Steve and I went for a nice Sunday drive and found out a transformer was struck by lightening. So we went to Mat's house and had dinner with them and watched a couple of shows. Poor Gracie got excited and was running a little too fast, tripped and hit her head on the coffee table. Luckily, no bleeding or major bruising. We finally headed home and the power was still off when we were ready for bed. The next morning it was still off and Gracie comes up ready to watch a show. I made her sad by telling her "no show, sorry." My poor child is becoming addicted to that TV. She does watch educational shows though :0
...
We headed over this morning to my mom and dad's for a barbecue. Before we left we had the generators going to help with the fridge and freezer, but didn't do much. We hung out with my family and my beautiful new nephew, It was really nice. Only half of the family was there. One brother was on call all weekend (police officer). My other brother is in New York, making the big bucks, well, or so he thought he would but that's a different story.
Well, after lunch we headed over to the cemetery to visit little Preston Ryan (Annalees), Preston Blair (my moms), and Jaxson argyle (my beautiful). It was really gorgeous over there with all the beautiful flowers.
We came home and guess what?! The power was still off and all you people that live in the same area AND have a freezer full of part of a buffalo and a cow, know we start to get a little nervous. We headed to town and got all of the dry ice we could get, took some to my in-laws (same problem) and put some in ours. At that time, the power FINALLY kicks back on. Now, back to our modern ways of sitting on the computer and sitting in front of the television.
...
I am really thankful for our modern ways of living. The things that we have available to us. Having almost 2 days without electricity gets really frustrating. Some people didn't even have water because theirs came from an electric water pump, too bad. That was my fun yet not that exciting weekend.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't know what I'd do without my internet! Or hot water, right? I don't know how ya did it, but I'm glad you survived.

Sandra said...

That a pain to be without electricity. The freezer would be my worry too! I'm glad it's working now. How many people were without it? Nice that you have family close to hang with during outages.

Ashley said...

It wasn't as bad as I thought having the power out. We just hung out other places and went on drives. about 1600 people were without. Its just hard to entertain children without power for 2 days..